Sidewalk Salt and Ice Melt

As pet owners, it’s important for us to be aware of the many new safety concerns that appear in the wintertime. Sidewalk salt and ice melt are often used during the winter months and can be tracked from the streets and sidewalks to inside the house. Because these products are actually toxic for pets if consumed, it is important to always make sure your house is safe and salt-free. We recommend gently washing your pet’s feet with warm water and mild soap when they come inside to keep dangerous chemicals from being tracked through the house. We also recommend keeping your pet from licking the salt off their feet. If you’re concerned about keeping your pet safe, many home supply or hardware stores now carry pet-safe ice melt products, but remember that city trucks that sprinkle salt on the streets are always using the poisonous kind.